Re: ntsec and shell script problem

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 11:11:48PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> > This is just a bug report, I've got no suggestions on a fix just now :[
> >
> > problem: auto generated files, such as config.status and the libtool
> > script, are create with permisions
> > -rw-rw-rw-, not
> > -rwxrwxrwx.
> >
> > my
> > CYGWIN=$'ntsec binmode'
> >
> > Background: I'm looking into why libtool is currently broken, and one of
> > the problems is that the libtool script is created without execute
> > permissions.
> >
> > My suspicion is that the files are checked by cygwin for #!/bin/foo at
> > create time, (which will fail as len==0), set to rw-rw-rw-. IMO the
> > correct behaviour should be to set the x bit on all files when they are
> > created, as long as it would be inherited from the directory above (I've
> > included a ls -al for reference), and not touch the x bit unless a
> > userland program calls chmod.
>
> No, that's not correct. Files are created using the permission
> bits used in the applications call to creat(2) or open(2), just
> modified by the current umask. It's not the responsibility of
> Cygwin to change modes and it will not do it. That has nothing to
> do with ntsec and as long as ntsec is switched on, the permissions
> are only generated as it's usual on POSIX systems. There's no
> code which checks for the content in any way to change the
> permissions on create time.

It has something to do with ntea (and being on Win2k, I have ntsec
anyway). If ntea is set I get the above problem.

1. x-bit is reset after writing to file. I.e.

touch foo
chmod +x foo
echo > foo

will reset x-bit. Most Unix scripts assume that it is possible.

2. I had the above problem (config.status lost x-bits) with zsh configure
script. I added chmod +x after every change in config.status. I added ls
-l config.status to several places in configure (including just before
exiting). Result - immediately at the end of configure ls -l reports
config.status with x-bit. ls -l after configure run shows config.status
without x-bit.

It may be related to the 1 above - if configure holds config.status open
for writing and Cygwin resets x-bit on file close when ntea is set ...
just speculating.

I cannot provide actual logs currently, but will do it on Monday if you
are interested.

> Did you look into libtool if the script is actually created using
> x-bits or if a chmod is called on the file which perhaps fails?

Yes, see above. It is O.K. inside script - the problem comes when script
ends :-)

-andrej