From: python-list-admin@python.org [mailto:python-list-admin@python.org]
     On Behalf Of Guido van Rossum [mailto:guido@digicool.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2001 11:46 AM
To: python-dev@python.org
Cc: python-list@python.org
Subject: 2.0.1's GPL-compatibility is official!

Richard Stallman, Eben Moglen and the FSF agree: Python 2.0.1 is
compatible with the GPL.  They've updated the text about the Python
license on http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html, stating in
particular:

    GPL-Compatible, Free Software Licenses

    [...]

    The License of Python 1.6a2 and earlier versions.
          This is a free software license and is compatible with the
          GNU GPL. Please note, however, that newer versions of Python
          are under other licenses (see below).
    The License of Python 2.0.1, 2.1.1, and newer versions.
	  This is a free software license and is compatible with the
	  GNU GPL. Please note, however, that intermediate versions of
	  Python (1.6b1, through 2.0 and 2.1) are under a different
	  license (see below).

I would like to emphasize and clarify (again!) that Python is *not*
released under the GPL, so if you think the GPL is a bad thing, you
don't have to worry about Python being contaminated.

The GPL compatibility is important for folks who distribute Python
binaries: e.g. the new license makes it okay to release Python
binaries linked with GNU readline and other GPL-covered libraries.

We'll release the final release of 2.0.1 within a week; so far we've
had only one bug reported in the release candidate.

I expect that we won't have to wait long for 2.1.1, which will have
the same GPL-compatible license as 2.0.1.