installation problem

Sirs:

I am having problems installing cygwin.  I chose to download the tar.gz files
into a local directory (basically the latest versions of the packages of a
minimal development system).  When I ran setup, it said there was nothing to
install.  Setup did create C:\CYGWIN and its subdirectories, and updated the
registry.  I extracted the files using my old cygwin-b20.

I set PATH in AUTOEXEC.BAT, to include C:\CYGWIN\USR\BIN and
C:\CYGWIN\BIN.

If I type "CYGWIN" in "C:\cygwin" , I get messages
BASH: ld: command not found
BASH: mkdir: command not found
BASH: cd: /home/: No such file or directory
Then there is a colored message
MARTIN@ULR9I /usr/bin
then  white
$
If I now type "ls", I get
BASH: ls: command not found
Exiting, the DOS console directory is now "C:\cygwin\bin".

If I type "bash" in "C:\cygnus\bin" (or anywhere), I get a white prompt
BASH-2.05$
Typing "ls" yields the same result, command not found.

Typing "cygcheck -s" in a DOS terminal window yields the results at the end of
the message.  The output from "mount" is also below.

Can you tell me what to do about this?  Bash seems not to be finding
the executables in "C:\cygwin\usr\bin"; but the dll seems to be visible.

-----------cygcheck -s output
Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Sat Jun 16 20:33:35 2001

Win9X Ver 4.10 build 67766222

    /usr/bin
    /USR/BIN
    /cygdrive/d/LOCAL/BIN
    /cygdrive/d/FEM/BIN

SysDir: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
WinDir: C:\WINDOWS

Use `-r' to scan registry

a:  fd           N/A    N/A
c:  hd  FAT32   1945Mb  62% CP    UN
d:  hd  FAT32   5149Mb  18% CP    UN
e:  cd           N/A    N/A

C:\cygwin\bin  /usr/bin  system  binmode
C:\cygwin\lib  /usr/lib  system  binmode
C:\cygwin  /        system  binmode
c:    /cygdrive/c  user    binmode,noumount
d:    /cygdrive/d  user    binmode,noumount

Found: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
Not Found: cat
Not Found: cpp (good!)
Found: c:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\find.exe