Run-Away memory use by fopen()

Hi,

I've written a program that allocates a large number of small
buffers, then attempts to open a file to write them to disk
before continuing on.  Problem is, that when I try to open
the file, the fopen() does not return, and makes the process
sit there sucking up memory until there is not more memory to use.  If I move
the fopen() before I do any malloc()'s, or I make it such that less allocation
is happening, then the fopen()
works as expected.

Any ideas why this is the case?

System info:
Cygwin DLL version info:
    dll major: 1003
    dll minor: 2
    dll epoch: 19
    dll bad signal mask: 19005
    dll old termios: 5
    dll malloc env: 28
    api major: 0
    api minor: 39
    shared data: 3
    dll identifier: cygwin1
    mount registry: 2
    cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
    cygwin registry name: Cygwin
    program options name: Program Options
    cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
    cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
    cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
    cygdrive default prefix:
    build date: Sun May 20 23:28:17 EDT 2001
    shared id: cygwin1S3

GCC Version: 2.95.3-4

Thanks,
Peter