Re: Can regtool be used to rename a key?

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 03:35:08PM +0100, Keith Starsmeare wrote:
>I'd like to be able to script a method of renaming a key. Is there a simple
>way of doing it using regtool?
>
>I couldn't figure it out, so I had a look at the source, but I've never
>programmed the registry before - so I'm naturally a little hesitant. I was
>hoping that there'd be a RegMoveKey or RegRenameKey similar to the
>RegDeleteKey, but no. The closest I could see in the MSDN was RegReplaceKey.
>Has anyone with any experience of registry programming got any advice (which
>you could email to me directly if there's the worry that discussing
>programming the registry if OT)?

I don't think that there is any rename available.  I think that the best you
can do is copy and delete.

>Also, as an aside, how do you recommend giving patches if you can't access
>the cvs server because I'm behind a firewall? I downloaded the file from the
>web site.

I guess the best you can do is download snapshots and provide patches against
that.

>Incidentally, is there a reason that regtool likes backslashes so much?
>They're a pain in the butt from the command line. I submit this wee tweak so
>that I could use slashes for the keys:

Thanks.  I'll apply this patch.  I didn't know that regtool wasn't slash aware.

cgf