Re: I ask a small favor of Mr. Hamster (was "shouted down" etc)

Thomas Widlar wrote:

 > "Fred T. Hamster":
 >
 > > it could be an affectation...  {snip} could it just be what feels
best to me?

 > The window opens. All of the above plus annoy.

 > > i will probably stop capitalizing in the manner that appeals to my
 > > sensibilities just after the rampant misspellings on the net stop for
 > > good...
 >
 > I'll stop torturing the dog when Johnny likes spinach and can
 > play the violin.
 > Thomas Widlar

    sigh...  i know i opened a window by responding, but i felt
compelled to since this thread got started with my name in it.  lower
case email has never been a real issue before.  i suspect it's not much
of a real issue now either, since the first posting was pretty humorous.
 my blank verse style response (quoted partially above) really shouldn't
be taken as much more than the puerile attempt at humor it was intended
to be.  (note to self: and neither should thomas' email perhaps.  maybe
i'm missing deep wisdom though.)
    all this started when i submitted what i thought to be a fairly
reasonable bug report regarding zip...
 (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-06/msg01507.html)  it is pretty
bizarre how the issue changed, and i do admit that i over-reacted to or
misinterpreted the sense of people's responses a few times.  i don't
think i'm unique in that regard; some here have been honest enough to
admit their misinterpretation of my meaning as well.
    thanks to the list's contributing members, all of my questions have
been answered.  only thing i know of that's pending is an investigation
into the glob() function by yours truly.
    i can't help but suspect that this particular "favor" thread really
is a huge waste of time, and not just for myself.  i vow to stop
responding on it, despite any potential provocations...  but it does
seem off topic and unnecessary.  once i've apologized for a
transgression (iratus cerebrum eruptus), i don't consider it necessary
to do it over and over again.  if someone didn't believe it the first
time, that person is not going to believe it the second or millionth
time either.
    any real issues you have with me--let's talk about them in private
email.  i suggest others do the same.
thanks,
fred.
ps: please stop torturing dogs...

--
_____ chosen by the Nechung Oracle Program [ http://www.gruntose.com/ ] _____

Both the assembling and the distribution of knowledge in the world
at present are extremely ineffective, and thinkers of the forward-
looking type whose ideas we are now considering, are beginning to
realize that the most hopeful line for the development of our racial
intelligence lies rather in the direction of creating a new world
organ for the collection, indexing, summarizing and release of
knowledge, than in any further tinkering with the highly conservative
and resistant university system, local, national, and traditional in
texture, which already exists.
  -- H. G. Wells (1937)

_____________ not necessarily my opinions, not necessarily not. _____________