Perl, text files, & \r

The mailing list archives have some discussion surrounding $/ and trouble
people have had parsing files properly.  My problem is similar by involves
output.  Using cygwin’s perl (v5.6.1p1), I haven’t been able to find any
method of forcing simply while(<>){do-something;print($_);} loops of working
“properly”.  By properly I mean not changing the record separator.

What happens is this: the input records do not contain any \r characters,
only \n, and they are parsed correctly.  After the records have been
_processed_ by my script, they are written out by perl is appending a \r
character to the end of every line.  Can someone help me out?

I’ve tried forcing $\ to “\n”, but that didn’t help.

Cheers,
Christopher
=========== Christopher Rath == (613) 824-4584 ===========
       1371 Major Rd., Orleans, ON, Canada  K1E 1H3
=============== mailto:christopher@rath.ca ===============
  ``Hydrogen is a colourless, odourless gas which, given
  enough time, turns into people.’’ --- Henry Hiebert