gdb causing .dll lockup?

All,

I'm having a problem with gdb under cygwin.  I've been using the
GUI-frontended one that appears on typing "gdb" in my bash shell.

If I start debugging my program, everything works fine, unless I don't
have a breakpoint to hit.  If I've done a continue, with either no
breakpoint or with breakpoints that are not being reached, I can't quit
gdb without locking it up.  I think that if I remember to hit Cntl-C in
the DOS window that is popped up, the program being debugged will exit,
and then I can exit gdb.  If I am at a breakpoint, I can exit gdb.  I
cannot halt (with the little stopsign icon) the process first, I get the
same lockup when I try to halt it.

When I say "lock up", I mean it! :) The processes cannot be killed from
the NT (4, sp6) task manager.  I suspect that it is occurring while
something is in the .dll, because other bash shells that I have up at
the same time also lock up and cannot be killed.

I just did a download  of all the latest packages yesterday.  I had been
using the 1.1.1 until then; with that version I could not halt, but I
think I could kill gdb from the task manager after locking it.

I'll post my cygcheck in response to this message, after I reboot.

What I'd like to know is:

a) Has anyone else seen this behavior?
(I suspect not, as it's a major #%$@# and would have been addressed.)

b) Any suggestions for tracking down the problem?

It just occured to me that it might be an anti-virus interaction, as I
had a hard lockup when forgetting to disable McAfee before installing
with Setup.  I'll try disabling it, but now that I've written, I want to
get this onto the list before I reboot.

TIA,

Eric Monsler