Fw: Linking to cygwin1.dll and msvcrt.dll

BUG: cygwin with ( dll 1.3.2 ) and latest Postgresql 7.1.2 on Win 2000 with
SP1

Hi Corinna, Mo and Mumit,

I am a brand new Cygwin user, who started using it basically to postgresql
on WIN2000.

The situation is this:

I have cygwin with ( dll 1.3.2 ) and latest Postgresql 7.1.2 on Win 2000
with SP1.

I use Java and JDBC to connect from a Windows to Postgresql server to do a
very simple select:

select count(*) from table1; // returns count of 2

It works fine.

Now I run this on 10 threads in my Java program. Each thread loops for
100000000 times.

When I do this every thing appears to be ok at first. Then, I realize that I
am loosing free memory really fast.

I go in the "task manager" in windows 2000 and look at the memory usage for
each process. It is fine i.e not growing.

But Available physical memory is going down really fast. I have no clue at
first.

Then I notice that in Performance tab of Windows task manager, under Totals,
the handles is running very fast.

I discovered that it begins from 4080 and goes on incrimenting ( to a very
large number ) until I run out of memory.

I have a feeling that this is related to close of handles problem you are
discussing under subject
"Linking to cygwin1.dll and msvcrt.dll"

Mo has provided a patch. But I don't know how to apply this ( I am very good
at Unix and C++ but fear screwing something up

as the diff lookcomplicated).

Could you folks guide me. I can use Postgresql on Win2000 only if Cygwin is
stable in this regard.

Again, I am not very aware of protocol ( being new), so please ignore any
deficiency.

Thanks all.

Vinay

PS: Admire you folks. You are Heroes.