Building GCC 3.0 under Cygwin

I'm not sure if this is the best place to report the problem, so please
advise if I've got it wrong. I don't watch this list so please respond to me
personally. I will of course also post through the regular GCC bug reporting
mechanism.

GCC-3.0 doesn't build under Cygwin out of the box.
After running configure, you must patch line 224 of install.sh to add the
.exe extension as follows:

 dsttmp=$dstdir/#inst.$$#.exe
                         ^^^^

A better patch could probably be made which detects Cygwin and automatically
makes this adjustment, but I don't know how to do that.

One other fact, which probably has no specific relevance to Cygwin: if you
install gcc using --with-prefix=... (so that you don't disturb your existing
2.95.x installation), you get an advisory about the requirements for
linking. This advisory is generated by a section of ltmain.sh starting at
line 4892. Unfortunately, it comes in the middle of a huge amount of other
make output which is probably best ignored. I installed GCC-3.0 twice before
I noticed the advisory, and by the time installation was finished it had
scrolled out of my buffer and was lost forever. I noticed enough to see that
I could add "-L/usr/lib" to get things to link. If anyone knows how I can
recover the complete information I'd love to know it. In any case I think it
should be considered a bug that important advisories don't come at the end
of the make process.

-Dave