Setup problems - windows 98

Some one asked me a couple of days ago " do you know how to compile C
programs on emacs" - well, no, I didn't, but after poking around a bit I
ended up downloading Cygwin. Because I share the computer I've installed it
into "C:/Mair/Cygwin" rather than the default C:/Cygwin. However, I'm having
trouble getting it to do anything. It doesn't seem to have set up the
defualt paths correctly - in the bash shell, if I call something like gcc or
perl, it says command not found. I can get around this by typing in the
complete path name each time, but this is hardly satisfactory, especially
when the program appears to require something else - for example, I
frequently get "cygwin1.dll not fouind". It's there all right. I've tried
messing around with the .profile but since I don't really know what I'm
doing I don't suppose I did much good. Then I tried putting the .profile
through the bash thing line by line, but that didn't help. I've just about
made it compile C programs in emacs, after poking the configuration file for
that, but they won't execute because they can't find cygwin1.dll.
I'm not sure if I've explained the problem very clearly but I'm not very
sure what I'm doing here. Can anyone help?

Cheers
Mair

At the moment .profile looks like:

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/bin:$PATH"