Re: RPM installer (was Re: SETUP WIZARD FOR CYGWIN?XFREE86)

Hi!

Friday, 27 July, 2001 Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au wrote:

>>     Robert> As Chuck has mentioned, that cygwin1.dll should have a
>>     Robert> different shared memory region identifier, to prevent
>>     Robert> crashes :}.
>>
>> Just curious; can't we avoid a specially built version of cygwin1.dll
>> by making sure that cygwin1.dll isn't loaded when the installer runs?
>> Making a special verion of cygwin1.dll could add more confusion.
RC> What if:
RC> the irt cygwin1.dll is incompatible with the installed, running
RC> cygwin1.dll - so that any attempt to call cygwin1.dll functions (which
RC> the irt uses?) results in a crash.
RC> I covered ina different reply the mechanics of a different shared memory
RC> identifier.

if you run x:\some\temp\path\ash.exe and x:\some\temp\path\ contains
cygwin1.dll is _doesn't_ matter if any other program is running from
c:\cygwin\bin and using incompatible version of cygwin1.dll from
c:\cygwin\bin\, as long as you're taking care about shared memory
region name.

when x:\some\temp\path\ash.exe is calling some function from
cygwin1.dll, it's taken from the x:\some\temp\path\cygwin1.dll

>>     Robert> Uhmm, assuming the user actually knows whats going
>>     Robert> on. Consider a user that is not the sysadmin of the
>>     Robert> machine, and doesn't know that sshd is running. In theory,
>>     Robert> yes with user cooperation, you can do this. In practice I
>>     Robert> suspect that saying "we have installed a new version of
>>     Robert> cygwin1.dll, to make it take effect reboot your machine"
>>     Robert> will be less prone to support questions.
>>
>> OK, how about adding two buttons on the dialog, "Retry" and "Reboot",
>> making Reboot the default choice.  The dialog box can tell the user to
>> shut down the Cygwin apps that were found and click on retry, or they
>> press Enter and accept the default action, which would reboot the
>> machine, clearing the loaded Cygwin DLL from memory.
RC> Yes, thats good - however the reboot needs to use the replace on reboot
RC> mechanism - see below.

well, this is an issue with _any_ installer, including current
setup.exe I can't see why we're paying so much attention in context of
"RPM installer". It's generic problem (probably) worth separate
discussion.

RC> As an aside, cygwin-the-distro to me is a lot closer to debian GNU/Linux
RC> than Redhat GNU/Linux - the constantly evolving packages, with firm
RC> policies on quality and responsibility. From that angle, I'd like to see
RC> the current "run-setup every now and then, download the new stuff, and
RC> watch it install" process remain, a

this will remain as it is currently (if i understand things
correctly). RPM is good for tracking dependencies, checking
installation integrity, signature verification etc. -- the issues
current setup doesn't address or partially address.