RE: tar 'mini'-bug

Isn't setup.exe able to upgrade cygwin1.dll in place?
I thought it could.  If so, that's by far your best bet.

This is a Windows behavioral problem, not a cygwin issue.

On the NT family of OS's, you can't overwrite a DLL that's
currently in use.  It's locked.  That's why you get that
message.

On Windows ME (a.k.a. DOS 9 or is it DOS 10?  I forget.) there
are no such strict file locking semantics, so in my understanding
the behavior is somewhat undefined if you try to overwrite a DLL
on a FAT32 partition when it's currently in use.  I've never tried
it.  But I would say it's not a wise thing to do ;->

But you can take advantage of the fact that Win32 first
attempts to load a DLL from the directory where the .exe
resides before scanning the PATH.  Copy tar.exe and
cygwin1.dll to some other location, maybe c:\temp.  Then
run

bash$ /cygwin/c/temp/tar xvf <filename>

to get around this problem.  Then go delete your temporary
cygwin1.dll since you're not supposed to let multiples of
them reside on your system at the same time ;->

But if setup.exe will work, use that instead.

Troy