Newbie question: UID 500 on WinNT

Cygwin is up and running on my Windows NT server box. I originally installed
it so that I could get a Wiki cgi script to run on Apache - works great!
I'm trying to build a cvs environment - cvs is working fine.
I try to run
cvs -m import "My New Project" projectname {userid} start
with a variety of user ids. rsh always comes back with unknown user id.
I'm not understanding the userid thing here.
I usually log onto NT as Administrator. When I fire up cygwin, I'm in
/home/500. I've tried logging in as 'Administrator', among other valid
domain user ids, but login rejects them all.
At this point I've probably hosed everything: I've manually run mkpasswd and
mkgroup, as well as editing USER="`id -un`" to USER="Administrator" in
etc/profile (now when I fire up cygwin, I'm in /home/Administrator).
Hmm.. I haven't tried logging in as anything other than Administrator...
One more thing; how do I change the "I have no name!@{machine-name}" prompt?
thanks for tolerating such newbieness,
Marty