Virtual memory problem (Win98)

I have downloaded a prebuilt GCC-3.0 targeted for
arm-elf.  gcc gives me out of memory errors whenever I
try to compile any C program.

$ touch test.c
$ gcc -o test.o -c test.c
Virtual memory exhausted: Invalid argument

The GCC that comes with Cygwin (targeted for i386)
works fine:
$ /bin/gcc.exe -o test.o -c test.c
$ /bin/objdump.exe -f test.o

test.o:     file format pe-i386
architecture: i386, flags 0x00000038:
HAS_DEBUG, HAS_SYMS, HAS_LOCALS
start address 0x00000000

I have not found a solution to this problem in the
mailing list nor in the FAQ.  My cygwin1.dll is
version 1.3.2.  I have tried changing memory settings
in Control Panel->System and in the properties for the
cygwin.bat.  My system is Win98 (first edition) with
128 Mb RAM and IE5.5.  The same version of GCC and
Cygwin reportedly woks on Win2000.  Is this a virtual
memory problem, or a gcc-arm-elf problem?

Any help is appreciated.