Re: Samba for Cygwin

Joshua Jensen wrote:

> I show all my students Cygwin, and they love it.  Their number one
> question, though, is "where is Samba for Cygwin?".  Are there aspects of
> Samba that are particularly problematic when porting to Cygwin?  Are
> there any plans for Samba on Cygwin?

Umm...why?

Samba allows linux/unix machines to export shares using the SMB/CIFS
protocol.

smbfs allows linux machines to mount shares from other machines (incl.
windows) using SMB/CIFS.

Windows ALREADY can export and mount shares using SMB/CIFS.  These
filesharing tools are *builtin* to windows 9x/Me and NT/2k.  Why run samba?

That's like asking to port WINE to Cygwin (or port cygwin to WINE).
It's a gee-whiz proof-of-concept, but has no practical value.

--Chuck