RE: support for powerpc-eabi

  Absolutely.  What you found in configure.tgt is a pattern-matching
string.  That section of the configure file will be used for any target
that follows the pattern given, i.e. powerpc-(anything)-eabi.  Normally,
the middle part of the triplet would be the product manufacturer, so you
might have powerpc-motorolamvme-eabi, or you might say powerpc-unknown-eabi:
both will be matched by the pattern powerpc-*-eabi.  However since the
target name is used to make a subdirectory in the build tree (and later a
directory in the install tree) you cannot have pattern matching chars in it.
The bash shell would be confused when it saw 'mkdir powerpc-*-eabi' because
it isn't a valid filename.

>I edited the configure.tgt file and changed powerpc-*-eabi* to
>powerpc-eabi.

  That was the wrong thing to do.  What you should have done was use a
target like powerpc-unknown-eabi in the configure command; then the section
of configure.tgt would match it correctly and everything would be OK because
you didn't use a * in your configure target.

>Then I didn't get the error and build proceeded.
>
>I continued my process, build binutils successfully, make and make install
>worked fine.

  I guess you got lucky; binutils is a fairly robust package!

>Then I tried to work with egcs, here also configuration worked fine.
>But at the end of the make I got the following message:
>
>*********************
>//c/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/i586-cygwin32/bin/ld: unrecognised
>emulation mode:
>
>Supported emulations: elf32ppc
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>make[2]: *** [../f771.exe] Error 1
>make[1]: *** [f771.exe] Error 2
>make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
>*************************************
>
>Now my question is does GNU support powerpc-eabi or not.
>If yes then what should I do to solve the problem?
>Or shoud I use powerpc-unknown-eabi?

  Yep, you've got the answer there.  First reverse the changes you made in
configure.tgt, then just to be sure rebuild and install binutils with the
powerpc-unknown-eabi target (so as to be sure the powerpc-unknown-eabi-gcc
will match up with it correctly).  Finally try building gcc again.

   hth,
       DaveK
--
we are not seats or eyeballs or end users or consumers.
we are human beings - and our reach exceeds your grasp.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com