RE: return to the line

Jorge Goncalvez wrote:

> Hi , I made a port of a program from linux to Windows with cygwin .
> This program writes some logs informations in the
> cygwin_syslog.txt But instead
> of having a return to the line it haves a strange character.
>
> Why? I opened it with notepad but if I open it with vi these character
> disappear.

Notepad (as do many Windows programs) expects a CR-LF (carriage return -
line feed) combination to indicate end-of-line, whereas Linux/Unix etc. only
use CR. Vi is, and any decent editor on Windows should be, capable of
interpreting both types of end-of-line. This is not Cygwin specific, btw, so
you might wanna follow up on a more appropriate list.

Patrick Hubers
phubers@solve-i-t.com

Solve IT
Postbus 5063