Re: Virus Found

At 01:56 11-9-2001, Jon Cast wrote:
>Michael Schaap <cygwin@mscha.com> wrote on Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:00:34 +0200:
>
> > Or how about a "tip of the day" feature in cygwin1.dll that shows
> > one of these in a message box every time the dll is loaded?  :-)
> > Instructions on how to turn that off will NOT be given in the
> > mailing list, but can only be found in the documentation and in the
> > FAQ.
>
>I don't think this is as good an idea as the `fortune' idea (or maybe
>hacking together a fortune GUI).  Simply put, you DON'T want to hear
>from the kernel if you can help it.  Furthermore, this type of kernel
>message, especially, implies one of three things: inflexibility in the
>UI (i.e., getting a Win32 message box when launching an X app), bloat
>in the kernel (``somehow'' dwiming what GUI library the user wants
>(Win32 or X), and what toolkit an X user wants, and ...), or a
>/really/ clever hack.

I can assure you that this was not a serious suggestion.  (Note the
smiley.)  :-)

And even if it was, since I suggested it without offering a patch, there's
no change of it being implemented.  ;-)

  - Michael

(Next suggestion: cygwin1.dll will monitor all traffic on TCP port 25.  If
the recipients of a mail include a Cygwin mailing list, it will check the
browser cache for http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
.  If it is not found, it won't let the mail be sent.  Watch this space for
the patch.  :-) )

--
     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning