dynamic perl shipped with cygwin

I am getting an error trying to load an IO module
that is required by a script that someone else in
my company wrote. I searched the archives with
google and skimmed the perl-5.6.1.README- I have
perl version 5.6.1-2, with the accompanying latest
of cygwin that I installed today. I got this error-

Can't load module IO, dynamic loading not available in this perl.
  (You may need to build a new perl executable which either supports
  dynamic loading or has the IO module statically linked into it.)
 at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/cygwin-multi/IO/Handle.pm line 256

It looks like I have to compile my own perl, which
I am willing to try (make was easy enough :-).
I have seen some documentation on how to do it, but if
anyone has an favorite up-to-date websites, please let me know.

I don't understand why the perl-5.6.1.README says
"This package is configured to support dynamic loading"
and I am getting an error that seems to contradict that statement.

TIA,
Peter