Re: How to distribute programs compiled on cygwin? FAQ alert

On Monday 3 Sep 01, Christopher Faylor writes:
> There is no way to remove the cygwin DLL from programs that use cygwin.  Sorry.
>
> I couldn't find this info in the FAQ, but it probably should be there.

Chris,

I added the following entry to the "Programming Questions" section of
the FAQ:

	"Can I build a Cygwin program that does not require
	cygwin1.dll at runtime?"

	No.  If your program uses the Cygwin API, then your executable
	cannot run without cygwin1.dll.  In particular, it is not
	possible to statically link with a Cygwin library to obtain an
	independent, self-contained executable.

	If this is an issue because you intend to distribute your
	Cygwin application, then you had better read and understand
	<http://cygwin.com/licensing.html>, which explains the
	licensing options.  Unless you purchase a special commercial
	license from Red Hat, then your Cygwin application must
	conform to the GPL.

I call your attention to the last paragraph.  I'm pretty sure it's
correct, but I don't speak for Red Hat, so someone should check that I
haven't lied.

Thanks,
David