RE: cygwin 1.3.3-2 slowdown

export PATH=`echo $PATH | sed 's/\/\/[^:]*://' | sed 's/:\/\/[^:]*$//'`

Kevin

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	C. Porter Bassett [mailto:porter@et.byu.edu]
Sent:	Sunday, September 23, 2001 11:23
To:	Robert Collins; cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject:	Re: cygwin 1.3.3-2 slowdown

From: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
> Most folk are reporting huge speed improvements with 1.3.3. Maybe if you
> included _some_ details about your environment we wouldn't have to guess
> at what could be wrong!

Sorry.  Since I do not seem to be doing special, I assumed that it was
probably a fairly common occourance.  I was perplexed, however, as to why I
couldn't find anything about it with a google search.

Anyway,
PWORK:~$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.0 PWORK 1.3.3(0.46/3/2) 2001-09-12 23:54 i686 unknown
This is 1GHZ, dual processor box with 256 Meg memory running win2k. I
normally have something like 20 windows open at once - usually a combination
of internet explorer, windows explorer, gvim, and rxvt.  but I have 0-3% CPU
usage, and very little MEM usage.

No specific apps seem to be slow, but my interactive console seems to get
bogged down.  My first guess was to check to see if it was bash, in fact.
When running simple programs like "ls" on an empty directory or "cat" on a
2-line file, there is sometimes a 1-2 second delay between when I type the
command and when I see any response.  It does this both in rxvt and the
cygwin dos box.  It seems to happen between 1 in 4 time and 1 in 20 times,
but when I get that 1-2 second delay, it really throws me off my groove.

I cannot think of anything else that could help out.  Am I missing something
important that I should be telling you?

> Just a hint: have you seen or read this:
> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html ?

No I had not.  While it stung a little, I'm positive that I will be thankful
that you pointed it out to me.  (it still stings a little right now)