setup error: MSVCRT.DLL on Windows ME

Sorry if this is a repeat for anyone, but I do not see the message
in the mailing list archives and I see some of my replies after it.
Perhaps this was discarded because it was sent before I subscribed
to the list to read replies.

I am trying to install CYGWIN on a Sony VAIO laptop that is running
Windows Millenium Edition.

I checked the FAQ and searched the mailing list archives but this
problem does not seem to be mentioned.  I also searched the web with a
couple of search engines but that did not turn up anything relevant.

I tried to install two different ways: network and download for local
install.  I did not check the src box for any of the packages on either
attempt.

NETWORK INSTALL ATTEMPT:

I tried the online install, but it always hangs.  Something mentioned
virus scanners, so I ftp'ed setup.exe and scanned it and then ran it
locally.  It hangs and I think this log is from that attempt:

2001/09/27 11:29:57 Starting cygwin install, version 2.78.2.9
Current Directory: D:\FutureSTT\cygwin_local_package_temp
source: network install
Selected local directory: D:\FutureSTT\cygwin_local_package_temp
source: download
Selected local directory: D:\FutureSTT\cygwin_local_package_temp
net: Direct
get_url_to_string http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/mirrors.lst
site: ftp://planetmirror.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin
get_url_to_string ftp://planetmirror.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin/setup.ini
ftp > h
ftp > h
ftp > h
...  lots more lines with h as the command (which does not seem like a
good command to be handing to ftp).

Since it would not get setup.ini automatically, I ftp'ed it locally as
well.  I include the log above in case anyone is trying to track down
this problem or in case it indicates something I need to change in the
configuration of the VAIO.

So, two ftp's into the process, I started setup.exe and selected a
network install.  I assume it is using the downloaded copy of
setup.ini.  Setup downloaded lots of stuff (probably everything) then
showed an error dialog:

   Setup has caused an error in MSVCRT.DLL.
   Setup will now close.

   If you continue to experience problems,
   try restarting your computer.

Does this mean that setup is trying to overwrite the MSVCRT.DLL on the
C drive somewhere?

I expected setup to use the existing DLLs and install new ones
somewhere under the cygwin destination. That seems to be a common way
for Windows programs to avoid the DLL hell that happens when various
programs all need different versions of DLLs and overwrite standard
Windows DLLs during installs.

Does this mean setup already overwrite the MSVCRT.DLL and I now need
to go back to avoid problems with other programs?

Is the restart suggestion just a general thing for problems with Windows
or is it because setup has tried to change some DLLs?  This setup attempt
was after a fresh boot, so restart is not going to help unless setup has
changed something.

LOCAL INSTALL ATTEMPT:

Since the network install didn't work, I deleted all the CYGWIN stuff
and and started over.

After I deleted all the CYGWIN stuff from the network install attempt,
I ftp'ed setup.exe and setup.ini and told setup to download all the
files to a local folder.  I figured I could install one piece at a time
from the local folder and figure out which part is causing the
trouble.

After all the downloads, it still gave the same error about
MSVCRT.DLL.  Why is it messing around with anything when I told it to
just download?  The plan was to do a local install with the downloaded
files.  Setup allows network install, download, or local install.  Does
download really mean network install with the downloaded files save
locally?

setup.log.full from cygwin destination folder:

2001/09/27 11:36:33 Starting cygwin install, version 2.78.2.9
Current Directory: D:\FutureSTT\cygwin_local_package_temp
source: from cwd
Selected local directory: D:\FutureSTT\cygwin_local_package_temp
root: D:\FutureSTT\cygwin text system
get_url_to_string ./setup.ini
Chooser results...
[ash] action=Skip trust=unknown installed=unknown excluded=yes src?=no
     [prev] ver=20010805-1
          inst=latest/ash/ash-20010805-1.tar.bz2 33818 exists=no
          src=latest/ash/ash-20010805-1-src.tar.bz2 142963 exists=no
     [curr] ver=20010827-1
          inst=latest/ash/ash-20010827-1.tar.bz2 33780 exists=no
          src=latest/ash/ash-20010827-1-src.tar.bz2 143017 exists=no
[autoconf] action=Skip trust=unknown installed=unknown excluded=yes src?=no
     [prev] ver=2.13-2
          inst=latest/autoconf/autoconf-2.13-2.tar.gz 261675 exists=no
          src=latest/autoconf/autoconf-2.13-2-src.tar.gz 443844 exists=no
     [curr] ver=2.52-1
          inst=latest/autoconf/autoconf-2.52-1.tar.bz2 309415 exists=no
          src=latest/autoconf/autoconf-2.52-1-src.tar.bz2 646826 exists=no
... (elided about 500 lines - lots of stuff downloaded fine)
[zlib] action=Skip trust=unknown installed=unknown excluded=yes src?=no
     [prev] ver=1.1.3-5
          inst=latest/zlib/zlib-1.1.3-5.tar.gz 72671 exists=no
          src=latest/zlib/zlib-1.1.3-5-src.tar.gz 179669 exists=no
     [curr] ver=1.1.3-6
          inst=latest/zlib/zlib-1.1.3-6.tar.gz 72843 exists=no
          src=latest/zlib/zlib-1.1.3-6-src.tar.gz 188351 exists=no
mbox note: Nothing needed to be installed
2001/09/27 11:37:10 Ending cygwin install

The last line in the log fits with what I was expecting from the
download: compressed files ready to be installed with a local install.

Any ideas about what is going wrong and what can be done to get around it?

advTHANKSance

Bill Davis
wdavis01@harris.com