From: Charles Wilson
To: Mark Mims
Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'
Sent: 10/11/01 12:32 AM
Subject: Re: Problem calling a cygwin-built-DLL from a MSVC-built-app

Mark Mims wrote:

> I'm trying to call a cygwin-built DLL from a MSVC-6.0-built app.
>
> First question, Is this even possible?  Mumit Khan's dllhelper page
has some
> example DLLs that are supposed to be callable from an excel
spreadsheet...
> which seems to imply that what I'm trying to do has been done before.
> However, I haven't even been able to get the excel examples to work.
I have
> downloaded the dllhelpers (both 2.2.5 and 2.2.9),

Mumit's "dllhelpers" package never got beyond version 0.2.5.  I have no
idea where "2.2.5" and "2.2.9" came from.

> and the examples work fine
> for a cywin app calling a cygwin DLL or a vc6 app calling a vc6 DLL,
but no
> luck on trying to mix.
>
> I've found quite a mess of stuff on building cygwin and mingw DLLs
from
> Google, but nothing so far seems to work.  I have noticed that things
seem
> to have changed considerably when dllwrap was introduced.
>
> Can anybody point to examples and/or docs for recent versions of the
tools?
> I'm now thinking (grasping) I might just be having versioning
problems,
> where I'm trying to use techniques that only worked with older
versions of
> gcc, dlltool, dllwrap, etc (?).

The most recent version of dllhelpers (updated to correspond to the
latest tools) is here:
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/dll-stuff/

However, there's nothing there about calling the DLL from Excel.  I know

nothing about *that* particular problem.  Note that recent dllhelpers
(and new binutils) take advantage of special GNU-ld.exe tricks for
building "auto-import" DLLs.  You'll have to do it the "medium-old" way
  -- say, dllhelpers-0.2.6 ? -- if you want MSVC and/or MSExcel to
understand it.  I think.

--Chuck