cannot exec as

When I try to use gcc or g++ to compile anything under Cygwin now, I get the
message "cannot exec as".

There is no file named as.exe found anywhere under my cygwin root directory, as
shown by "find . -name as.exe -print"

Here's an example, I installed the regex source with the cygwin installer

gcc -I. -DPOSIX_MISTAKE -DREDEBUG    -c -o regcomp.o regcomp.c
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory
make: *** [regcomp.o] Error 1

I have gcc 2.95.3-5 and cygwin 1.3.3-2

Could this be the problem - I maintain a single set of Cygwin downloaded install
files, but install it on two machines, one of them via windows filesharing.  Are
there configuration files that get set for one machine that prevent the other
machine from getting fully installed.  My other machine is working fine.

Mike
crawford@goingware.com
http://www.goingware.com