Re: More about slowing down the machine

----- Original Message -----
From: "David A. Cobb" <superbiskit@home.com>
To: "Cygwin Library General Discussion" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2001 8:21 AM
Subject: More about slowing down the machine

> Win98se (4.10.2222) en_US; Cygwin1.dll 1.3.4s (2001-10-11 [I think]).
>

> To repeat, when the anomaly is happening Windows is unable to track
the
> mouse and the Windows clock is being updated at about 1/4 speed.  The
> build started at 18:30 - and the clock was right - and ended at 21:00
> with the clock reading 19:05.  Somehow the message queue(s) aren't
being
> checked and "pre-emptive scheduling" isn't very much so.

As has already been said, a user mode program shouldn't be able to cause
this... mind you, you are on win16 :}.

Hmm, usual cause for that is a high interrupt count - does the h/w
interrupt rate change during make?.

Another thing is 16 bit legacy drivers floating around.

Also, some thing\s to try:
* nice make (note: I suspect that this has a bug at the moment, in that
fork()/exec() IIRC doesn't set the priority on the new process - which
will mean that only the parent is set. You might want to grab a renice
for windows, and see if dropping the make2 process priority alters
things.
* use process explorer from sysinternals.com to see if an excessive
number of handles are open by make2. AND - if you are looking for a
spinlock, all the win32 sync objects involve handles - so look for a
handle in make2 that is open in the child - or is the child.

Thats all from me for now...

Rob