Permissions on home dir and ftpd

I've been playing around with ftp recently trying to solve a problem and I'm seeing some
strange behaviour that I could do with some help on.

I've setup inetutils and inetd is running under UID 18 and is listening for incoming ftp
connections. An ftp session starts and will accept my username and password but it fails
to find my home directory unless that directory has execute access for 'others', i.e., I
need to do chmod o+x dir for ftp to work properly. Without the o+x permission, I get the
following:

230- No directory! Logging in with home=/

Obviously I would rather not have everyone able to cd to my home directory! The curius
thing is that neither telnet nor ssh requires this for them to work correctly.

Is this a known problem? I've seen references to problems with chroot in the mail
archive but since I'm not clear what chroot does, I'm not sure if it's relevant.

For info, I'm running Cygwin 1.3.3 on Windows 2000 SP2 with the latest version of
inetutils.

If anyone can shed some light on this I would much appreciate it.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold, Deputy to the Head of COS Division, Manchester Computing,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.