cygwinb19 and mysql-win32

I know I'm a little late but I'd like to add the following:

The Cygwin version of the clients has readline support which the
native version lacks. They do *not* distribute the Cygwin sources and
thus violate the GPL. I offered them a few months ago to upload a new
package with a more recent cygwin1.dll including the sources, but they
didn't even bother to respond. I conclude that this is just not an
issue for them. Although I abhor wielding the legal stick at every
occasion, I wonder whether a nicely worded letter from a Cygwin/Redhat
official might make this an issue for them.

regards,
Markus

Robert Collins writes:
 > Is there anyone here who has done a lot with MySQL?
 > Anyone know whether they've licenced Cygwin b19 from Redhat? (Chris?)
 >
 > I've just noticed that they include a dll call cygwinb19.dll in
 > mysql/lib for their win32 builds. The readme in that directory refers to
 > VC5 and makes no comment on the cygwinb19.dll file.
 >
 > And their manuals only reference is that to use the mysqlc (mysql client
 > linked to cygwin) one must copy the cygwin b19.dll to the windows system
 > directory.
 >
 > Oh, and there is no source for cygwinb19.dll in the binary distribution,
 > nor any specific notice that cygwinb19.dll as included has it's source
 > available in their source tarball. (there is the usual COPYING file for
 > the whole thing though).
 >
 > Hmmmm. AAARRRRGGGGHHH. Mysql isn't exactly a low profile open-source
 > project. I haven't downloaded their 15 MB .zip source file to check
 > whether the cygwin dll source is included or not - which is why I've
 > mailed here in case someone else has and can confirm or deny. Their unix
 > source file is ~11Mb, and I suspect that the 4Mb difference is more than
 > just tar.gz getting better compression.
 >
 > So there are two issues here:
 > 1) Why are they distributing b19?!?!?!??!
 > 2) Are they in fact distributing the source.
 >
 > Rob
 >
 > --

Markus Hoenicka, PhD
UT Houston Medical School
Dept. of Integrative Biology and Pharmacology
6431 Fannin MSB4.114
Houston, TX 77030
(713) 500-6313, -7477
(713) 500-7444 (fax)