Re: setup testers wanted - again!

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 01:18:01PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 13:11, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 01:06:00PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>> >The can't access top most categories after collapsing a big category bug
>> >has been fixed.
>> >
>> >Still on the TODO:
>> >* src tickbox behaviour is non-intuitive
>>
>> This is not new behavior, though, is it?  Isn't this the same as the
>> "standard" version?
>
>It's a little different - things have diverged over time IIRC. In trying
>to make it better I think we've added confusion.
>
>> >* wide descriptions get truncated.
>>
>> Is this due to the fact that there is no horizontal scrollbar?
>
>Possibly, in fact there is meant to be an automatic horizontal
>scrollbar, which I think isn't being triggered now because of the size
>change. A sufficiently long description should trigger it. I haven't
>looked yet.

It doesn't seem to.  I reported this on cygwin-developers.

>> There are a couple problems which I reported in cygwin-developers:
>>
>> 1) Unless you've made changes, the current dialog box doesn't
>>    work well with 640x480 screens.
>
>Yes, and that needs fixing. However I'm in favour of a resizeable
>window, which is harder still :|.

That's for sure.

>> 2) There is a problem with on-disk installations.  Sometimes the
>>    default selection is "Uninstall" when it shouldn't be.
>
>Can you tell me how to reproduce?

You would ask.  I think it happens when you've downloaded a new version
of setup.ini but there is an old version of a package in your sandbox.

It annoyed me enough that I recently updated my download sandbox,
thinking that I'd get around to fixing things since I knew just what was
causing the problem.  Of course, now I can't duplicate it anymore.  I
did go as far as investigating the problem a while ago and came to the
conclusion that the "state machine" that I introduced in recent versions
of setup.exe was flawed.  I think the reason it is flawed is that we're
overloading the selection part of the process.

But, I can't duplicate it now, as hard as I try.  I thought that someone
had mentioned this in cygwin-developers, though.  I'll check.

>>Chuck Wilson also reported problems.  Have those been fixed?
>
>Nope, I've got his mail in my inbox still.  My first set of goals is
>usability - cause that's what tends to generate 1000's of emails.

I thought that Chuck's concerns were usability, actually.  It sounded
like the buttons at the top of the screen weren't doing the right thing.

cgf