Re: [Mingw-users] Re: make: strip command can't find file

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your clarifying responses to my question on iverilog 5.0
installation.  For any interested parties that might try this in the
future, I'll just summarize what worked on to some degree:

   * The baseline system is WinME, with cygwin 2.78.2.9 and mingw1.1
   * Ensure that mingw's bin precedes cygwin's bin in bash's $PATH
   * For the "check:" rule in Makefile.in , forward slashes "/" in the filenames
     must be changed to double back slashes "\\" so that make's "sh" sees
     them as "\" and passes it to iverilog

        * iverilog requires this because it
          was compiled under mingw and expects DOS file paths
        * This Makefile.ini modification should precede the "configure" step

   * To pass "make check", I changed all references to hello.vl and sqrt.vl
     to hello.v and sqrt.v, then renamed *.vl files to *.v (can't remember which
     files, but suffice to say all the Makefile's)
   * Use mingw's make for compiling ("make")
   * Use mingw's make for checking ("make check")
   * Use cygwin's make for installation ("make install")

        * Simplest way (to me) is to move mingw's make
          into a subdirectory "safe"

This procedure got me part way so far.  Not only does "make check"
pass, but from the bash prompt, I can issue the command for the
"check:" rule and get back "Hello world".  I am still wrestling with
getting it to work on when hello.v is outside of the source directory,
and without all those command line options in the "check:" command.

However, the topic has changed such the the subject line is no
longer accurate, so I hope you will bear with me as I post another
posting with details of the error messages, and with much of the
above points repeated.

Once again, thanks for your responses that helped me get this far.

Fred

Fred Ma
Department of Electronics
Carleton University, Mackenzie Building