Re: tetex-beta nitpicking [WAS: Re: no more package moratorium?]

Robert Collins wrote:

> From: "Jerome BENOIT" <520066587150-0001@t-online.de>
> >

> > Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> > >
> > > The texmf tree is a tar.gz file available at every CTAN server which
> > > includes all but the binary files for a teTeX system. This is
> > > platform-independent, as these are only text files.
> > >
> > > With the new dependence stuff in setup it *could* be made a separate
> > > package. I have no idea about licensing issues, though.
> >
> > I have nothing to add.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, you are the current Textex-beta maintainer. So you
need
> to decide whether you will add this texmf stuff to tetex-beta, or whether
> new package that contains it is needed. (I supect a new package makes
sense
> if the texmf stuff doesn't change every time you compile the binaries).

Just something to keep in mind here: the texmf .tar.gz is somewhere on the
order of 30MB.  wget sucks it down quite adequately over a modem or 1/2ISDN
here in the good ol' US of A, but rarely without a few restartable retries.
Until Cygwin's setup gets such functionality, my guess is it would probably
cause more grief than it cures to add it as a package, just due to its size.

Gary R. Van Sickle
Braemar Inc.
11481 Rupp Dr.
Burnsville, MN 55337