RE: linking application with a library

-----Original Message-----
>From: Mohammad Saleem [mailto:mosa@enea.se]
>Sent: 18 November 2001 11:46

  Hiya Mohammad, I can see a couple of things here:

>Even with link I tried with a flag --gc-sections

  D'oh, yes, sorry, I should have mentioned that one.

>test.srec: $(OBJ) appcon.o
>    $(LD) --gc-sections $(LDFLAGS)   $^ mylib.a $(LIBS) -o $@

  But you are linking mylib.a as if it were an object file!  I think it
needs to be supplied with a -l flag to be treated as a library, does it
not ?  Try renaming mylib.a to libmylib.a (ld requires the name to be in
the format libXXXX.a and then you use -lXXXX), and then try using the
ld line in the makefile like

>    $(LD) --gc-sections $(LDFLAGS)   $^ -lmylib -L. $(LIBS) -o $@

 - ie we tell it that we want the library mylib, it knows then to look for
'libmylib.a', and the -L. tells it that the lib may be found in the
current directory.

>compiling appcon.c
>h8300-hitachi-hms-ld: warning: no memory region specified for section `.
>_init'
>h8300-hitachi-hms-ld: warning: no memory region specified for section
>`.configu'
>h8300-hitachi-hms-ld: warning: no memory region specified for section
>`.timerIn'

  This may reflect a problem with the srec format limiting the length of
section name strings, but see if it goes away when you try the new flags.

       DaveK
--
Burn your ID card!  http://www.optional-identity.org.uk/
Help support the campaign, copy this into your .sig!

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com