Re: Setup.exe Revisited

At 02:32 PM 11/19/2001, Daniel Meier wrote:
>Toggling the setup.exe 'browser' to 'full' mode, then scrolling through the
>list of packages reveals that the "Editors vim: Vi IMproved - enhanced vi
>editor" package's New column is set to 'skip.' By which I make the
>assumption that this is an optional package for users who like the extended
>features of vim over the standard features of vi. Implied in the above
>statement is that there is a vi/view/ex utility that is part of the shell
>built-in.
>It just seems that the new setup.exe 'assumes' a lite installation (e.g. gcc
>is set to 'skip', nearly everything is set to 'skip').

OK, I understand where you got the notion that 'vim' is optional.  Most
packages default to "Skip" if they haven't been installed (by setup)
before.  It implies nothing about whether this package is an alternative
for another or not (generally not the case anyway).  The moral to the
story is, if you want 'vim', install it.  If you want 'vi', install
'vim'.  If you don't want either, don't install 'vim'.  Same goes for
most of the other packages.

>Note that I did attempt one installation where I selected all packages to
>install (cycled from skip to the version number) and still vi would not
>work. While I cannot absolutely rule out changes to my system, I did perform
>an install on a system where I had successfully installed two weeks ago.
>
>OK I applied a 'little' brain to it, here's my situation:
>Installed using setup.exe, as noted above vim package was set to skip.
>typing "vi test" results in: bash: vi: command not found.
>Using find, cannot find vi or any derivative (vim, vi.exe, vim.exe, etc) any
>where. ls'd /usr/bin, no vi.

Makes sense.

>Ran setup again. Specifically selected vim package for install.
>Type "vi test" results in a dialog box: "vim.exe - Entry Point Not Found:
>The procedure entry point bind_textdomain_codeset could not be located in
>the dynamic link library cygintl.dll."
>
>Find on cygintl.dll found /bin/cygintl.dll and /usr/bin/cygintl.dll.
>
>Just to make sure I copied cygintl.dll into the system32 directory and tried
>the above test again. Same results.

Sounds like a path problem.  Check that out... and remove cygintl.dll
from system32.