Re: path suggestion needed

At 06:24 PM 11/21/2001, Sharmin Kabir wrote:
>Hello,
>I installed cygwin in windows 98. But I am confused, because without setting any path, I got the bash commands work at the bash prompt! Could you pl tell me about Whether I need to put the path or not, where to put the path????
>
>I saw the following line in profile in cygwin/etc folder.
>
>PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:$PATH"
>

>Do I also need to set the path
>SET PATH=C:\CYGWIN\BIN;%PATH%
>SET HOME=C:\CYGWIN\HOME\MATH
>SET CYGWIN=tty binmode
>in  autoexec.bat/ cygwin .bat file????  If yes, where it should be? In
>autoexec.bat or cygwin.bat or profile? How can I test the installation is
>right? Is there any command to test it.

I'm not sure I understand your question.  You say that you installed
Cygwin and now you can run the commands that come with Cygwin from the
bash prompt without needing to make any other changes to your environment.
You act like this is a bad thing.  This is precisely what you should
expect.  You shouldn't need to make any changes at all after installation
in order to run the Cygwin-provided utilities.  So what's your problem
exactly?  Sounds to me like everything is working *perfectly*!