Re: Licensing

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 02:28:54PM +0100, Erik B wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have read all the documentation on cygwin.com concerning
> licensing and I have not found a clear answer to my question:
>
> I want to install a win 2000 server at a customer.
> I want to run PostgreSQL on the server.
> My application accesses PostgreSQL using JDBC.
> I cannot put my application under GPL.
>
> Can i use cygwin for this without violating the GPL?

As long as your application is _not_ linked against the Cygwin DLL
or against any other library which itself is GPL'd, you're fine.

If your application is created using Cygwin you would violate
the GPL if your application is going to be distributed without
being under an Open Source license.

If you want to know whether your application is using the Cygwin
DLL, just use `cygcheck' which will show you all DLLs the application
is linked against, e.g.

$ cd /bin
$ cygcheck ls.exe
Found: .\ls.exe