multiple users with the same login name problem

i've spent some time trying to figure out "permission denied" errors on my
install of cygwin. it turns out that it was having some difficulty with the
fact that my local user name is the same as my domain user name and that
they're different accounts on the machine.

cygwin chose the local user and created the /etc/passwd file accordingly.
however, since i was logged in using my domain login it was throwing
"permission denied" errors. by deleting the entry from my /etc/passwd file
and replacing it with the entry from mkpasswd -d, i solved the problem.

i'm not sure cygwin's behavior was incorrect but it was not obvious from
either the user guide or the faq that this problem could occur and how to
solve it. i used google to search the mail archives but "permission denied"
is such a nebulous error that i couldn't find anything there either.

could you guys add something in the faq about troubleshooting "permission
denied" errors?

i'm not subscribed to cygwin so if you'd like to shout at the newbie, put
caps lock on and reply to this address,

thanks for all your work so far, cygwin is an awesome application,
regards,
jamie mccrindle.