/etc/alternatives

I just updated my cygwin installation and noticed this new directory. I was
a couple updates behind. I took a look and there's a README that states:

Please read the update-alternatives(8) man page for information on this
directory and its contents.

The referenced man page does not exist in my installation. There didn't
appear to be any updated man pages listed in the setup program. Also, I can
find no reference to this in the list archives.
So, what is it?

David Monk