Re: CVS with pserver: Binary files get corrupted

Hi,

Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
> Holger Spielmann wrote:
> > Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:

> >>The repository itself must be on a binary (unix) mounted drive --
> > I did mount the repository as binary, but that didn't help.
>
> As a system mount?  Did you then restart inetd/cvsd ?  and then
> *recreate* the repository (since your original one probably had ^M's
> in it)?

Yes, it's a system mount. No, didn't restart inetd, that's truely a
point. Yes, repository was recreated.

[HS: mount working dir as binary, too?]
> My point is that you should try from a CLEAN SLATE with your intended
> repository directory mounted as binary -- not that you merely re-mount
> an existing repository (that may be scrogged) as binary.

I created a clean repository. Sorry I didn't mention that, my fault.

> >>export CVSROOT=/repository
> > Having the repository on a windows share isn't a solution for us
> What???  I said nothing about a windows share.  I'm talking about the
> following, when logged in to the machine on which cvs:pserver: will
> run, create a brand spanking new empty repository directory.  Make
> sure it is on a binary mount (e.g. as a simple example, I said:
[how to mount repository as system-wide binary]
> See, now you are SURE that /repository is a binary mounted
> directory. The data will go into D:\repository.)

I'm sorry, I interpreted the CVSROOT pointing to a "local" directory
as a suggestion to used a shared folder instead.
At the moment, I use pserver on the local machine, too, because I
still have to fiddle around with the configuration, and want to be
sure I can instantly reproduce problems arising on the machines of my
co-workers. (As mentioned before, I was in the lucky position for the
last years that I always had projects where I worked in Unix/Linux/GNU
environments.)

> Now restart inetd/cvsd/however you are getting pserver to work.
>
> THEN, and only then, go try to import something from a client machine.

I omitted the last point, beside the fact that the working directory
from where the import started lives on a text mount. Will try these
two tomorrow.

> Note that pserver is practically unported.  I didn't do anything to
> try to get it to work at all; I do have some documentation on how one
> user got it working, but haven't yet published it.  Too much on my
> plate right now.

Taking that into consideration, it works well:)

CU
--
Holger Spielmann
Germany