Re: unable to locate CYGINTL.DLL dependency

Bob Batey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The bug "UNABLE to LOCATE CYGINTL.DLL" (see Jan. 21, 2002 bug report
> from Marino Stramare) still surfaces.  The origin of this bug is when
> one doesn't install gettext (from the contrib).  Now seeing that some
> people might want to make their own CD roms, I expect core dependences
> should NOT depend on contributed packages.  Seems that can be the source
> of this, since I experienced it long after it was reported.

We're still working the kinks out of the "dependency issue".  Setup now
supports them -- but not all of the existing packages accurately specify
their dependencies for setup to use.  Also, some folks installed prior
to the current setup.exe, and (according to one of today's threads)
there may be a "final package selected not installed" bug...so yeah,
there are some kinks.

We'll get there.

> As a solution, I wonder if you can put the gettext package in the
> appropriate "latest" directory?  Seems like a reasonable thing to
> do.  And there should be some hint in the vim package directory as
> to this dependency.

As already pointed out, vim's setup.hint / setup.ini entry already
specifies that dependency -- so I'm not sure why your installation
missed it.  Also, moving "gettext" from the contrib to the latest
directory would not have solved that problem

However, I think that the "contrib" vs "latest" distinction is
meaningless.  We shouldn't destabilize things by moving packages around
for purely cosmetic reasons(*).  [this is a change from my previous
opinion].  "latest" v. "contrib" was a historical division, when
"latest" meant "inherited from B20.1, maintained by cgf, dj, corinna,
..." and "contrib" meant "new contributions from non-RH employees".

But that has gone away.  I maintain bzip2, the autoconf(wrapper),
automake(wrapper), ncurses, and libtool* packages in "latest", but also
many packages (incl. gettext) in "contrib".  Some of Corinna's packages
are in "contrib".  Some packages that are of only esoteric use are in
"latest", but others that many people may consider core are in
"contrib".  It's a difference without a distinction.

(*)
In the best of all worlds, we would reorganize the mirrors so that there
were only the following two top-level directories (as far as setup.exe
was concerned):

   cygwin/supported
     [contains everything currently under "latest" and
     "contrib", as well as the eventual "XFree86"
     setup-installable packages]

   cygwin/unsupported
     [I think we need a place for folks to just say "here: I ported this
software to cygwin, and created a setup-installable package out of it.
Here's the .tar.bz2 and the -src.tar.bz2.  But I don't want to maintain
it.  I have a libiconv package like this: I've ported it, but am
unwilling to support yet another package.  These unsupported packages
could STAY in the unsupported dirctory, and be in the "Unsupported"
setup category, but if somebody wanted to "adopt" it then it could be
moved into the "supported" directory.  That way, folks who wanted to dl
and burn to CD only the "core" cygwin could get it by grabbing the
"supported" dir.

This pair of dirs has real meaning.  The current "latest" vs. "contrib"
doesn't.

But I am not advocating this wholesale reorganization -- because moving
that much stuff around in the dir structure could seriously overload the
mirror system.  There's also the problems that occured when we moved
ncurses around -- setup got confused. We don't yet know (for sure)
whether the soon-to-be-released new version of setup will gracefully
handle packages moving around.

--Chuck