Re: "local install"?

Rob,

[ Our mails are crossing, so just know that I've read both the post I'm
replying to directly here and the subsequent amplification. I think we are
mostly just agreeing, albeit loudly. ]

>It did *what* ? How do you reproduce it?

Grumble. That must be an even-day bug, because when I went to try to
reproduce it just now, the mis-behavior was gone.

Here's what I remember. About a half-dozen package updates had been
announced since I last updated, so I decided to use them as a test case for
the new setup.exe. It (NEW setup.exe) downloaded the bulk of those packages
(including their source bundles) and then reported an error (a size
mis-match, if I recall correctly) and offered to download again. I say OK
and it downloaded ALL of those packages again, this time without error.
Then, for whatever reason, I decided to run through the download again from
the top, and NEW setup.exe it listed all those packages as requiring download.

All this was with my old trusty favorite mirror: http://mirrors.rcn.net.

At that point, I went back to the previous setup.exe (2.125.2.10) and
downloaded (again) and installed the latest package updates.

Sorry to alarm you. Sadly, at this point all I can say is that it could
have been cockpit error (occasionally I forget to switch the radio buttons
to one of "Download ..." or "Install from Local Directory") or it could
have been a glitch in setup.exe itself.

If more details surface, I'll pass them along.

More below...

At 17:06 2002-03-01, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]

That's all very nice, but I'm actually completely contented with what we
have now. Let me be clear that I have no problems or complaints with setup
(old or new, with the now retracted exception described above). I'm very
happy with what you (all) have given us. Considering I started using Cygwin
with b18, you can understand that I have a fair perspective on the
improvements, including but not limited to installation support, over the
past several years. It's just that I have a hard time accepting the
repeated admonition that setup.exe is "not a mirroring tool" when clearly
it mirrors Cygwin just fine, for my purposes. I cannot see why one would
use it for any other purpose, and perhaps that's what you're trying to
forestall.

I certainly do reach for wget for all my general-purpose mirroring and
Internet retrieval--I love it!

> > I'm a software developer, too. I fully understand and accept the need to
> > keep one's options open. Ideally this is done by careful wording of specs.
> > I guess that doesn't really apply here, since we're not talking about an
> > API or any other highly formal (or very complex) specification.
> > Nonetheless, I'm more than happy accommodate such hedges and reserved and /
> > or (pre-) announced behavior changes (e.g., removal of the old
> > interpreatation of the "//" file name prefix in the Cygwin DLL). It would
> > be nice to know, of course, what the anticipated change is. Just saying
> > "Here's a feature. It's there in plain sight. Please don't use it." without
> > adding "lest you risk ..." is kind of hard to accept.
>
>I've not said that :}. Chuck didn't say that either. Paraphrasing what he
>said : 'don't expect setup.exe to behave like a mirroring tool'. And
>'don't depend on the setup.exe local cache dir structure to remain the same'.

OK, but if the "local cache dir" is not a mirror, as is commonly
understood, then telling me to use a tool such as wget that will produce a
conventional "mirror image" is asking me not to be able to install.

Either setup.exe "mirrors" the download site, or a conventional "mirroring"
tool is unusable as a substitute for the download functionality of
setup.exe. I don't see how it can be both.

>Rob

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA