Re: Strange behavior of MSVC's printf under cygwin shell?

On Tuesday 26 March 2002 09:04, Pietro Toniolo wrote:
> Nay, I campiled the proposed program (every package on my side is in the
> "Last" status) and, with -no-cygwin, I do have an unbuffered stdout.

You mean buffered?

> Is it an "undefined behavior" of the c compiler?
> But why a different default behavior, with and without the flag?

Usually the libc decides if to use buffering by the fact if stdout is
atttached to a terminal (line buffering) or redirected to a file (full
buffering). Since -no-cygwin uses the MS libc, and MS libc doesn't know
anything about bash, I suppose they thing stdout is not connected to a
terminal when running under bash. This would at least explain this behaviour
and there would be nothing you can do about it, except using fflush (as a lot
of people already suggested).

Greetings,

--
Michael Teske