Re: teTeX (tetex-beta-20001218) out-of-box problems

Yep, it appears that the problem was more with the dependencies between
packages.  Our mirror copy is probably the default installation, and
installs tetex but not texmf.

So, revised suggestions:
*) Occasionally install default cygwin from scratch.
*) Something in the quick install guide that identifies installation
problems would be really helpful.  Specifically, I was mislead by texmf
not being listed in the dependencies in the .README file.
*) Keep an eye on the default packages.

Thanks,
Alex.

> Hi,
>
> is it the test version or the current one ?
>
> Please note that the tetex-beta does not provide a TeX Directory
> Structure:
> see texmf package to get one.
>
> Thanks,
> Jerome
>

> Alex Stark wrote:
> >
> > I'm having problems simply installing cygwin and trying to get
teTeX to
> > configure. (eg cygwin 1.3.6)
> >
> > *) I have followed the README files and Quick install files.
> > *) It wasn't amazingly obvious to me that I needed to go down a deep
> > tree to find .cnf.frozen files and copy them to .cnf files.
> > *) config.ps was missing, but I can't find instructions on how to
> > create for the standard setup (600dpi pdf output).
> > *) Even then, texconfig barfs as soon as it tries to
> > find "language.dat".  This is beyond my (once extensive) knowledge
of
> > TeX.
> >
> > Bottom line - I'd recommend a maintainer start from a scratch
cygwin,
> > and check that there are idiot instructions for each step.  Note
that
> > the above difficulties would go away with in-place upgrades, since
they
> > all result from missing files.
> >
> > Yes - I realize that extensive study of the teTeX docs would yield
the
> > answers, but (a) the quick guides are made to look complete, (b)
it's

Alex Stark / alex@mdag.org
http://www.mdag.org/users/stark