Re: 1.3.10-1: Cannot create filenames starting with a period in XP

At 05:41 PM 4/9/2002, Joe Drago wrote:
>I have set up a Cygwin install on a Windows 2000 Workstation machine, and
>got bash and sshd to run perfectly. I can create all regular files,
>including important ones like ".bashrc" in my HOME folder. Following the
>same set up, I attempted to set up the same deal on a Windows XP Pro
>machine, and although everything -else- works, creating a filename in with a
>period (such as .bashrc) is nearly impossible.
>
>So far, the only way I have found to circumvent it is that "mv" will allow
>me to rename a file and add a period to the front, but this is not good
>enough, as vim complains about the swap/recovery file every time I edit one
>of these files.
>
>Is there a setting in Windows XP that I am not aware of, or is this a
>limitation with NTFS? My W2K machine runs W2K's FAT32, and
>my XP Pro machine runs XP's NTFS (no encryption).
>
>I "STFW" all day, and R'd all of TFMs that I know of, and am at a loss.
>Help?
>
>Thank you for reading this, and thanks in advance for any replies,

Never seen this.  It's not some NTFS artifact, otherwise people would've
been screaming about it forever.  I run W2K and NTFS without any
difficulties.

I'm not sure what your problem is here.  Perhaps you want to try creating
the file running with strace to see if that helps you locate the problem.
Maybe you have permission/security issues?  It's hard to say without knowing
what you tried and what the specific results were.