Re: Default mounts : one redundant?

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 09:15:31AM +0100, fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net wrote:
>>>  "You know better than to send this inquiry to the Cygwin list ..."
>
>>>  "This is off-topic, it belongs on cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com ..."
>
>On or about 19th April all the XFree86 stuff became available at the Cygwin
>mirrors and for the first time required no special download or installation
>procedures. A new user (or even several old users: 3 so far, by my
>reckoning) might be forgiven for deducing that associated queries could
>thereafter be reasonably directed to this list cygwin@cygwin.com. Hooray for
>ease.
>
>However: apparently not (even for questions like this one which is a
>perplexing one about architecture, not practice. Speaking just for myself,
>it really isn't always easy for those posing queries to determine where that
>query should reside). But anyway, please could we have a ruling: despite the
>consistency of its download and installation and the seamless manner in
>which it has become part of the standard provision, are queries about XFree
>stuff still to be directed elsewhere than cygwin@cygwin.com?

You've quoted Robert and Harold, apparently.  Robert is one of the core
cygwin developers.  He's also one of the people who "get it".  Harold is
the Mr.  Cygwin/XFree86.  You can assume that he knows what he's talking
about too.  You can pretty much take it for granted that if those two
guys says something is off-topic they've probably got it right.

So, to answer your question with a couple of other questions: Did you
see an announcement that the cygwin-xfree mailing list was going away?
Have you been seeing me consistently sending cygwin-xfree questions to
the cygwin-xfree mailing list?  Have you read the Mailing Lists link at
the cygwin web site?  Do you think it makes sense to increase the mailing
list traffic in the cygwin mailing list or to make people who are only
subscribed to cygwin-xfree now have to read cygwin, too?

I think the answer to these questions is obvious.  In case it isn't.  The
specific answer to your question is at http://cygwin.com/lists.html .

cgf