setup.exe 2.218.2.8/9 broken

Preamble:
I don't work at Cygnus, I am just another user.
(Well, maybe less skilled that any other user)

Why I am writing:
I have been upgrading Cygwin essentially daily on my work
and home machines, using the newest setup almost all the
time, and I have almost never seen a failure.  This can NOT be
because of above average skill or intelligence on my part!
Though I too am a physicist, I possess neither.  :-)
I do want to help though.

Now, almost all of my operations with setup have been
incremental installs, in the last two weeks, I have
done only one download to a CD and install on a non-networked,
no Cygwin present (at all, never installed) machine.

What sort of operation are you performing? New full install,
new partial install, install over a deleted older version,
incremental install etc?

Now, in all but one of my recent installs, I have used
"install from the internet", "all users", "unix".

I have a designated directory I let install work with,
c:\xfer\cygtemp, that is where it puts its temporary stuff.
That is the directory where I keep setup.  That is the
directory where I designate in "Select Local Package Directory".
There seem to be some issues with people using their
c:\cygwin in this role.  Note also that I do not designate
any of the mirror subdirectories that are in my cygtemp
directory.  My connection, I use "Use IE5 Settings".  I
have always used the mirror ftp://archive.progeny.com ,
if you look in my Cygtemp directory, you will see that there
is only one mirror folder in there.  Note though that I have
done successful incremental installs in which I have deleted
the mirror subdirectory.

This takes me through to the Cygwin Setup menu.  I open
all the categories, and install almost everything.  Ooops,
Wayne, you have been guilty of that omission - I have nearly
all the Cygwin packages installed, even the bloody games,
which are there for no intellegent reason I can tell you.

Now, this procedure works for me, for the use I describe.
It has worked for this machine, which is Win98, and my on-base
machine, which is XP-Pro.  The machine I did the virgin install
on runs Win2000 Pro.

Now, this evening, I did see a failure of the sort you note, because
I messed up and did not download the new .9 version of setup.
This is the only failure I noted.  (I also noted that gsl is
now included, that made my evening, I use it a goodly amount and
have been installing it seperately before)

I hope my experience helps in solving your problem.  I hope
it also encourages you to report the sorts of things I have
told you about my install procedure.  It really helps the guys
in trouble shooting.

Wayne Keen