Re: cygwin/Perl and Win32:: package(s)

On Thu, 23 May 2002 perlspinr@att.net wrote:

... material deleted

> Yes, I am curious, because at the start of your article
> you explain that you were looking to code something (the
> reader has no idea what) "to run under a native Perl on
> Win 2000". Then suddenly you were working in CygwinPerl
> which isn't native to anything but *NIX. What brought
> that about? Does this change of direction just mean that
> you wanted your Perl application to be more broadly
> portable? Or did you actually decide to abandon
> ActivePerl (I assume that your 'native Windows Perl in
> ActivePerl) for some reason?

I had hoped that my brief explanation would have covered something of
the following:

I use cygwin as a development and testing environment for applications
that will run on Win boxes, sometimes they run under cygwin, sometimes
without. I don't want to set up another test environment (ie Win2000) at my
place of development, that would mean more disk space, more time, more
worries.

The current project involves a c app and a Perl script that interacts with
a VB app and its Access database, and it all runs on a Win2000 box. It was
Win-NT, but it moved under me.

The c app is constrained to compile under mingw, as the Win2000 box
does not have cygwin on it. The c app also will compile and run on a Linux
box. It uses ODBC to access the Access database. The Perl script was added
later to provide a GUI, I know that there are cross platform GUI packages,
ie wx/Windows, but here Perl is an easy and quick cross platform solution.

On the Win boxes the VB code (not something that I wrote) keeps some of
its environment in the registry and my Perl script would like to get at
it. When this script runs under Linux, its gets this info from other places.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture. I cross develop, sometimes
cross platform code, if only for ease of development.

> I run Win98 as well as WinNT and I hope that they'll at
> least run under Win98, if not build there.

Cygwin runs on Win32 platforms, I intend that my changes to Win32:: will
be the minimum to get them to build and run under cygwin Perl.

It appears that I'm not the only one interested in Win32:: under cygwin
Perl, so I'll continue, which of course is quite a bit of work in excess
of my immediate needs.

Clive