Cron - strange schedule behavior

I have installed cron on several machines without a
problem.  On one machine (W2P) though, I'm getting
very strange behavior.  I have two entries in my
crontab:
* * * * *   command one
*/2 * * * *   command two

Instead of command one running every two minutes and
command two running every minute, I get alternating
sequences of each command running for some wierd even
number interval like 6,8,12 minutes.  Command one runs
for a while and then command two runs for a while.
This makes no sense whatsoever and there are no error
messages in event logs or anywhere else that I can
find.  Has anyone who has cron running correctly (as
SYSTEM) ever seen this problem?