Re: How to simplify cygwin+perl application deployment

Yung-Kao,

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 08:32:33PM -0400, Hsu, Yung-Kao (Yung) wrote:
> My question is whether it is possible to archive one such installation
> and unpack it in another machine?

Yes.  In fact, I have a "minicygwin" which is a self-extracting zip
archive that I use to "clone" a minimal Cygwin installation including
sshd on tens of (non-development) machines at work.

> If so, what are the issues that we need to be aware of?

1. Use an archiver that preserves enough file attributes (i.e., system)
so that symlinks are not broken.  I use Win32 info-zip to accomplish
this step:

    $ zip-win32 -r -S C:/cygwin.zip C:/Cygwin

Note that I renamed "zip" to "zip-win32" above, to be explicit that I'm
using the Win32 zip and not the Cygwin one.

2. Use mount to generate a script to clone the mount points from your
template installation:

    $ mount --mount-commands >mount.bat

Another approach (and possibly the better one) is to create a Cygwin
setup.exe installable set of packages to supplement the standard ones.
I use this approach to install about 30 extra Cygwin packages on
development machines.

See the following for details:

    http://www.cygwin.com/setup.html

You can generate the setup.ini file by hand or use upset to do so
automatically.  You can find information on how to retrieve upset from
CVS here:

    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-02/msg00028.html

> Thank for any input.

You are welcome.