Re: something strange with devices

"John Vincent" <jpv50@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The ls program successfuly found all the file names on the
> list. However, some of them didn't seem to show up as devices,
> only as files.
[snip]
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None            0 Jan  1  1970
/dev/dgsocket
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None            0 Jan  1  1970
/dev/streamsocket
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None            0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/tcp
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None            0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/udp
>
> Which seems to show that these "devices" exist, but they're not
> devices, just zero size files!

You need a patch (by Chris Faylor) that's in the cvs version of cygwin
to get these files to show up correctly. Then they show up as devices;
for example:

crw-rw-rw-    1 Everyone Everyone   0,   0 Jun 21 15:09 /dev/dgsocket

But! that shows up another issue: for me, all the devices show up as
having major & minor device numbers as 0. They correctly get block or
character type, but the minor/major numbers are missing. Is this
something new?

I'm running latest CVS development cygwin on win2k.

// Conrad