'make' timing problem

(Time to change the subject line -- Maybe this has
nothing to do with the cygwin-1.3.11-3 release.)

> Has this problem just started? or have you been seeing this for some
> time? (which will help understand whether it's related to sub-second
> timestamps at all).

I'm writing some GNU makefiles (in the past week)
and testing them, so I don't have any history with
them with previous versions of 'make', etc.

FWIW, I'm using cygwin-1.3.11-3, of course, and GNU
'make' version 3.79.1.

I tried to reproduce the problem with a one-line Makefile:

hello.a: hello.a(hello.o)

Although this gives the expected output:

>gcc    -c -o hello.o hello.c
>ar rv hello.a hello.o
>a - hello.o
>rm hello.o

it does not have the (undesired) side-effect, that is,
if I run 'make' a second time, it says (correctly) that
there is nothing to be done for 'hello.a'.  The problem
only occurs (repeatedly and reproducibly) when I have
a "large" number of files.